The discovery of reduced peripheral vision (or a blind-spot) in the visual field is critical in diagnosing and managing both glaucoma and neurological conditions that affect the optic nerves of the eye and the vision processing areas in the brain. In the early stages of glaucoma, you are highly unlikely to be aware that you are developing the condition as the brain fills in the gaps and holes with its best guess as to what should be there, leaving you none the wiser.
By enabling the earliest detection of visual field defects, this highly detailed assessment method improves the success of treatment of this silent thief of sight to prevent eyesight loss. Visual fields testing is also valuable for detecting neurologically related vision changes due to stroke, lesions or tumours.
We perform a visual field screening assessment on every adult patient. More detailed tests can be used if indicated following your screening. This is because we believe that an eye test is not just about reading a letter chart, which only accounts for the central 2% of our vision. The other 98% of your vision is just as important.